Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Trick or Treat

I have been asking Cole for about a month now what he wants to be for Halloween. We have poured over holiday catalogs, scoured the internet looking for that "perfect" costume, and have talked about it until we're blue in the face. Nothing appeals to him. Every costume I suggest is clearly NOT going to work. And, he always has a perfectly logical reason why not.

Mom: How about a firefighter?
Cole: No, because I might have to put out a fire.
Mom: How about a policeman?
Cole: No, I might have to direct traffic.
Mom: How about a race car driver?
Cole: No, I might have to change the tires.
Mom: How about a skeleton?
Cole: Ewwwww...No! Too scary!
Mom: Ghost?
Cole: No, I might have to wear a sheet.
Mom: Pirate?
Cole: No, I don't like that one.
Mom: Ok, Cole. We really need to decide on something SOON, OK?
Cole: Ummmm, I just want to be a banana.

A banana??? Where did he come up with THAT one??? I did find a banana costume over the internet, however, it looks a little large and not very comfortable! So, we're discouraging the banana option at every turn. I can just envision him trying to waddle into school for his Halloween party and trying to sqeeze into a chair at the table in that thing!

Over the weekend, he made a "whistle" out of a chip clip and spent a good part of 30 minutes blowing his whistle at us. So, I mentioned to him that if he were a policeman for Halloween, I would buy him a real whistle. Boy, did the eyes light up then! So, now he is telling me he wants to be a policeman. I better buy the costume quick before he changes his mind again! I think I'd much rather listen to that whistle non-stop for a few days than try to explain Banana Boy to the neighborhood...

Mom: So, you decided on a policeman for Halloween, right?
Cole: Yes. But, I need 3 things.
Mom: What's that, buddy?
Cole: A whistle, a badge, a police hat, oh...and some boots. Oh, and Mom? Don't forget the handcups.

No comments: