Ok, so who caught this week's episode of Oprah featuring Jessica Seinfeld? For those who didn't, let me fill you in. Yes, she is Jerry Seinfeld's wife. And, she wrote a cookbook entitled "Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Getting Your Kids Eating Good Food." The premise is simple, really. Disguise steamed, pureed veggies in ordinary foods that kids love and they will eat healthy without even knowing it. Genius! I was on Amazon.com 30 minutes into the airing of the show ordering my copy! Its almost too common sense, in a way. After all, I have already been mushing up veggies and hiding them in Cole's quesidillas for years. (Shhh, don't tell him!) But, I figured that a few new recipes wouldn't hurt. (And, truth be known, I probably bought the book more to trick my husband into eating better anyway!)
So, my cookbook arrived on Thursday. That evening I hit the grocery store to stock up on veggies. And, Friday I spent all of naptime roasting, steaming, and pureeing. I now have a freezer stocked of dreaded vegetables....everything from cauliflower to broccoli to sweet potatoes and anything in between. I'm ready.
Friday night, I try out my first recipe: Chicken Nuggets (with broccoli hidden inside coated in breadcrumbs and flaxseed to hide it). I was so excited for Cole to try it out, thinking I'd really pull a fast one on him. The instant his plate hit the table, I heard, "Eeeewwwwwww....GREEN! I don't like GREEN!" Ok, how did he see it? I felt so cheated! This book, along with the kids and audience members on Oprah, had me convinced that the veggies would not be seen or tasted in any of these foods. So, how had I failed on my very first attempt? *sigh* I would have been better off just to put the broccoli on Cole's plate and he probably would have eaten it! Instead, we spent 15 minutes arguing with him over eating his chicken nugget! He did finally eat one, but I won't be making those again too soon. (And, as a side note....they were pretty good. Chris and I finished them off!)
I'm not giving up yet. I'm going to keep trying out the recipes and see if I can trick the kid. I'm thinking I'll try out the donuts made with pumpkin and sweet potato as a healthier alternative to the Hostess powdered sugar ones he is hooked on these days. But, if worse comes to worse and I can't pull the wool over his eyes.... Well, I'm stocked up on baby food for Chase.

2 comments:
I saw the Oprah episode and I was so excited! My MIL said she'd buy the book for me. It looked sooooo fabulous on tv. I don't have my copy yet. You'll have to keep us updated on anything that is popular in your house. Greg and Ashley are VERY picky eaters and I was really hoping to both hide some nutrition and find something besides PB&J and hot dogs for them to eat!
UPDATE: I was sucessful at hiding the cauliflower in the mashed potatoes and the carrots in the meatloaf! :)
Post a Comment