Monday, August 13, 2007

The Perch


Since Cole was 3-months old, he has been staying at his great-grandmother's (aka "Nonnie") house while Mommy and Daddy go off to work. It is his home-away-from-home. I love the fact that he is happy there and is with family rather than in a day care center or with a stranger. Its easy to say goodbye each morning knowing that he is happy and well taken care of. No one knows better than me....as Nonnie took care of me as a child. (Except, back then she was known as "Grandmother" and we didn't dare call her any other name! In fact, all of the grandkids HAD to call her Grandmother...it was the cardinal rule. However, somehow Cole came along and invented the name "Nonnie" for her...and it stuck. Don't ask me how he got away with it. I'll never know.) Anyway, as a child, I actually spent more time at Grandmother's house than my own. I loved being there and have so many fond memories of spending time there. So, I am very thankful that she is now able to take care of my own children as there is no where else I'd rather have them stay.

From the time Cole could sit up, Nonnie started putting him on the arm of her rocking chair to sit, sing, read books, watch TV, etc. Over time, it affectionately became known as his "perch." Even now at 3 years old, he still clamors up in the rocking chair to sit on his perch with Nonnie every day. Thankfully that old rocker has two arms, as I know Chase will soon be sitting on the other one.

2 comments:

Mary Taylor said...

Oh how true! We did spend many hours at Grandmother's house. Mom was appreciative especially during violin practicing time! Grandmother always said she loved to hear me play and that I could practice at her house anytime. I am so glad that you are able to leave your kids with her still...since there are no children in my plan currently, I probably won't get that opportunity of leaving my kids with such a great person/role model. We love you Nonnie...I mean Grandmother(-=

Melissa said...

How lucky your kids are to get to spend so much wonderful time with their great-grandmother. I love that he renamed her Nonnie. Those two obviously have a special bond!