Sunday, March 28, 2010

My little genius

Tonight, Cole and I were going through his bookshelf, trying to pick out which book he would be reading to his class in a few weeks. Mrs. Ullah has each student be a "guest reader" and read a book to their classmates. Then, the reader must come up with 2-3 questions to ask to class to ensure that they understood the story.

Cole has lots of books, but it was hard to pick "just the right one" for the class. Many of his books are either too young or too long or have sound with them, etc. So, we spent quite awhile looking at each one to find the perfect one. I pulled out "The Little Red Barn" and thought that, even though it was a board book and might appear to be for younger children, the words seemed on Cole's reading level. Plus, they rhymed and I thought he might enjoy reading it.

When we got to the part in the book where the cows mooed and the horses neighed:

Cole: Mom...this book has a lot of onomatopoeia in it.
Mom: Wow, Cole! That's a big word! And, yes, you're right!
Cole: But, seriously.....this is a fiction book.
And, then he continued to sing the rest of the book!

How did he get so smart? And, thank goodness I majored in English in college or I might never have known what he was talking about!! And, for those of you who didn't major in English.... :)

onomatopoeia
1. the formation of words whose sound is imitative of the sound of the noise or action designated, such as hiss, buzz, and bang
2. the use of such words for poetic or rhetorical effect

No comments: