Monday, March 15, 2010

Autism Update

Its been awhile since I have shared anything on this blog about Cole's autism. And, I am happy to say that is because things have improved so drastically for him! Instead of the grouchy, withdrawn, angry little boy he was just a few short months ago, he is now (for the most part!) a very happy boy, with lots of enthusiasm for school! And, I can honestly attribute this 180 degree turn to his "happy pills." He is taking a small dose of Celexa twice each day and it has made all the difference in the world for him.

I never thought of myself as the type of parent who would give medication to a child. In fact, I can remember being quite adament that I would not be one of "those" parents when I heard of others who had resorted to medication for their child. I can remember thinking that "those" parents simply weren't pushing hard enough to find the answers or were taking the easy way out.

But, after a year of trying alternative therapies to try to help Cole, we were not any closer to a solution than where we had started. And, I finally resorted to the psychiatrist's suggestion of medication. I can remember being scared to death to give him the very first pill we tried (a seizure medication of some sort) but reluctantly gave it to him after a particularly trying day. It only made him sleepy. The poor kid fell asleep every afternoon (and although that did serve as a break for me, it certainaly wasn't the answer for the long haul!) for 3 hours.

The second medication we tried actually exaggerated the symptoms we were trying to eliminate. The anger worsened, the yelling, the screaming, the inflexibility, UGH! I couldn't take stand it! His behavior was awful! And, I can remember thinking there was no way he could start school like this. How would he ever make it?

The week before Kindergarten started, we gave a third medication a try. Celexa. Third times the charm, right? Somehow it was. The doctor had told us it might take 2 weeks to build enough in his system to make a difference. But, it didn't. It worked....from the VERY. FIRST. PILL. It was unheard of! But, it was exactly what Cole needed. Almost immediately, his behavior improved! The tantrums stopped. He became more open to change and would try new things. He even began to play with Chase...just a little!

His "happy pills" have completely changed this little boy! He no longer walks around all day with the scowl on his face. (See my "About Me" pic above) He is much happier, has friends at school, and has turned into a social butterfly! He was even given a big speaking part in the school play! (In the old days, he might have sooner thrown that microphone at someone that actually spoken into it!)

Today we had our quarterly check-up with Dr. V, who continues to be amazed at the changes in Cole! The only concern I brought to the table today was the fact that he still seems "in his own world" when it comes to independent work at school. He has a hard time focusing on the task. And, if it involves writing, forget it. He hates to write. Homework is a big issue too, and usually takes him hours to get through writing a few sentences since he refuses to write and would much rather pick at the pencil eraser than write. Thankfully he has a very understanding teacher who "gets him" and understands that he already knows the material and doesn't force him to complete each and every assignment.

As we move into 1st grade, we may have to re-evaluate the medication he is on. We may have to add something that will help his focus issues. (Oh, and please say a prayer that the teacher he winds up with for 1st grade will be as understanding as Mrs. Ullah. I just can't imagine we will be so lucky...) But, the problem with adding a medication for the focus issues is that it could have a negative effect on his behavior. Ugh.

I'm nervous about the thought of 1st grade. And, we may have to start going back to the Joshua Center again...if for nothing else than having his counselor on our side if we have to ask the school district for special accomodations for his autism issues. I'm trying not to think about it.

So, for now...we're goign to just concentrate on finishing Kindergarten and then enjoying a nice long summer vacation (with not TOO much writing for Cole!!). And, we will go back to see Dr. V on June 18...my big guy's birthday! Until then...

No comments: