Saturday, March 8, 2008

Cole can READ!!!


Simply put, Cole is amazing. The kid has taught himself to read. At 3 years old!!!!

Ok, so really I have the Leapster to thank for this! (Believe me, it wasn't anything that Mom and Dad have been teaching him. We can't take the credit!) Since Christmas, he has been playing his Thomas the Train Leapster game non-stop. And, it has taught him simple 3-letter words, along with the concept of sounding out the letters to make words.

Lately, I noticed that he has been recognizing words all over the place! Just yesterday, he looked at my shirt and said, "Mom, your shirt says GAP." He read the words "Hot Rod" and "Star" that are on posters hanging in his room. And, he is constantly noticing signs everywhere and trying to read them.

So, last night at bedtime, I decided to get out his Treasury of "Dick and Jane" books (Thanks, Aunt Robyn!!) and see what he could do. He read 30 pages!!!!!!!! And, he read them with very little help!!! The only word he couldn't figure out was "come" because he hasn't figured out the concept of silent "e". (But, then who really has?) Mommy and Daddy were floored! After we picked our chins up off the ground, we tucked him in bed and promised Cole he could read more in the morning.

He's reading. At 3. The stories he was reading were stories I can remember reading from the 1st grade!!!! I'm amazed.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Yay!!!! And I'm so glad he's getting some use outta that Dick & Jane book. Hey, if they were good enough for us( & our parents!), they're good enough for today's kids. :)

Melissa said...

Hooray for Cole!!! That is awesome! You are making the "Easter Bunny" rethink his purchases. He got Greg the Backyardigans game for his Leapster, maybe he should trade it in for the brilliant Thomas game??!!

Kristy said...

Melissa -- I say keep the Backyardigans game! Cole has that one as well. He actually got the Thomas game first and then a few months later we bought Backyardigans. They both are great for reading and phonics!

Cheryl said...

Amazing! Unfortunately, my 4 year-old has ZERO interest in reading.