Sunday, July 17, 2011

Swim Lessons


The boys have been going to swim lessons this month! (And neither of them are very excited about it!) We've tried swim lessons with Cole before, and it didn't go well at all. But, I was hoping that the second time around might be better....

The first night of class, I was thrilled! The boys showed so much potential! Even though they were both scared of the deep water, they had instructors who just made them do what they were supposed to. No excuses, no talking about it. If the instructor wanted the boys to blow bubbles or float on their backs, they just took them by the hand and made them do it. I thought, "Great! This is what they need!"

The second night of class, we went back only to discover those great instructors were not there!!!! They had been replaced with "ok" instructors, but ones that were young and not forceful at all. In fact, Cole spent the entire class time clinging to the wall, refusing to do anything! Halfway though class, the instructor motioned for me to come to the edge of the pool. I did, and she said that Cole told her there was "something wrong with his nose" and that "he wasn't allowed to go underwater." WHAT?!?! Nice try! I told her that was not true and it was fine for him to get wet.

That conversation was then followed up with Cole yelling at the top of his lungs that his mom "was a LIAR" over and over...at the top of his lungs. *sigh* If I could have crawled into a hole, I would have! Needless to say, it was a pretty wasted night at the pool!

However, from that night on, the boys did a little bit better. (Or, maybe it had something to do with the fact that we threatened to throw them in the deep end and make them swim if they acted like that again!!!) They both did try a little harder after that night. However, Cole still refuses to put his head anywhere near the water...which makes floating on his back (and nearly everything else swimming related) quite the challenge!


















No comments: