Friday, September 21, 2007

Coming around?


Cole never really has made up with Chase. I mean, he more or less just tolerates this new "thing" in our home, much like he tolerates the dog. He really has no use for either one, but its nothing he can change so he just tries to pretend neither exists.

Lately however, Cole is more disgusted with Chase because he drools. He'll holler from across the room, "Chase is drooling on his shirt!!!" And, its gotten to the point that Cole will not walk within 10 feet of Chase becuase he might get drooled on. Its pathetic.

So, today I decided that I would start forcing Cole to at least acknowledge Chase. I begged him to talk to him, look at him, show him a toy, anything would have been fine. Cole wanted no part of it. Finally, when the choice was given that Cole either come over and touch Chase or I would put the two boys in the same bath tonight, he immediately chose the lesser of two evils and began to talk to Chase. When he did, Chase lit up and reached for his big brother. I told Cole that Chase wasn't a monster, and that he was just a little boy looking for a friend. Cole responded and even gave Chase a hug! (Although, he was quick to pull away and inspect his shirt for any signs drool!) Cole was so proud of himself for hugging his brother, that he wanted to call Nonnie to tell her about his accomplishment! Then, he even went so far as to go to his room and find his stuffed Blue's Clues dog to give to Chase to play with! While he was in the moment, I posed the two of them for a quick picture. Its not the best shot, but for Cole to even sit on the same couch with Chase is monumental...let alone touch the drool monster!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

YAY! I can TALK TO YOU NOW!! WOOHOO! Sorry. I've been a frustrated commentor! But here I am! And I notice you have sitemeter..Anyhoo..you can't force Cole to pay attention to him, but once he realizes that Chase thinks he's a rock star, he will become more interested! Sage always lights up when Sawyer is in the room, even if he totally ignores her. And Friday night, we were at a friend's for dinner. They have a girl a day older than Sage who is a tad more aggressive than Sage. So Sawyer says to her "Stop being mean to my sister." It was priceless! His first "pick on my sister and I'll kick your ass" comment. Just wait til she's 16 and his friends start calling her...But I digress. I predict Cole will be all over Chase soon - once he stops that annoying drool habit! LOL