Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What a Day...

...It all started last night, when Daddy found a lump behind Chase's left knee. I had gone to karate with Cole and, upon returning, was told I needed to see Chase's knee. The lump was probably about the size of a very large marble! Slightly freaked out...I knew I would be taking Chase to the doctor first thing the next morning!

This morning, Cole got on the bus for school, Daddy left for work, and I took Chase to Urgent Care! Turns out...the lump behind is knee is something called a "Baker's Cyst" and is basically the fluid from his knee joint which has filled this cyst. The doctor assured us that it isn't cause for concern, but did say that she sees this so infrequently that she needed to consult her books just to make sure. Together, we read the entire page straight from her medical textbook. She did say that if the cyst continued to grow, or begins to hurt, we should consult a pediatric orthopaedist.

Next, I asked her about Chase's right eye, which has been watering for about a month now. She was completely stumped! It is not infected and it appears that there is nothing wrong with his eye. She prescribed an allergy eyedrop to try for a week or so. If that doesn't help, we are to find a pediatric opthamologist. (Sigh....my little walking medical mystery!)

After the doctor's office, I took Chase to Nonnie and then finally went to work. I arrived 3 hours late. Work was crazy busy, as usual. And, to my surprise, I found out that I had been volun-TOLD that I would be leading a team on a very high profile project. *sigh* Great, this day just keeps getting better. And, my head is swimming as I'm trying to figure out how to manage this big project, when I get an email from Cole's teacher saying that he hadn't been doing his work in class all week and she would be sending home a large packet of homework that needed to be completed. And, not 30 minutes later, I get a phone call from Nonnie saying that Cole threw up on the bus this afternoon!!!

I got home from to find a very angry Cole. Mad that he hadn't been allowed to eat the cookies he wanted for a snack! (Bear in mind that he had just thrown up not 30 min. earlier!) Nonnie told him to try crackers and water first, and that wasn't making him happy. So, to let us know how angry he was, he picked up the remote control for the TV and proceeded to throw it several times until it broke!!

Turns out...whatever made Cole sick was most likely something that he had eaten at school. He was physically fine all evening. But, he was a complete emotional trainwreck! And, the homework....took all evening. By the time he finally finished, there was no time left to play outside. So...Round 3 of our battle ensued...which ended with Cole in bed and very uspet about it!

While we have been having issues at home with Cole's behavior for the past several weeks, I was trying to ignore it the best I could because he was still doing OK at school. However, now that he has lost all focus and can't seem to complete his work at school, it is time to contact Dr. V and see about adjusting his medication. With only 6 weeks of school left, I thought we just might make it. But, I don't think so now.

Let's hope tomorrow is a better day!

No comments: