Thursday, December 13, 2007

Botox for Babies?

I had no clue! I thought Botox was only for those seeking the "Fountain of Youth" or for those Hollywood types that need to pretend that they are just naturally over 50 with no wrinkles. But, I found out otherwise today! Apparently, Botox is used at the Torticollis Clinic here in town (and nationally, I'm sure) on children who just aren't responding to physical therapy alone! Needless to say, I was shocked about that bit of information!

Obviously, Chase had a physical therapy appointment today! I was a little disappointed to learn that he has taken a small step backward over the last month. At the last appointment, Amy was pleased with the way he was keeping his head straight and center for long periods of time, even though he didn't have the full range of motion. But, today she noticed that he was tilting his head again, along with still not having full range. The trouble is that his neck muscle is sooooo tight that its just not allowing him to turn his head properly. And, he is so strong and fighting us so hard with the exercises, that he isn't getting a good stretch very often because he is tensed up and working against us.

So, I was presented with 2 options today: one is a Botox injection into that tight neck muscle. Of course, I was shocked and stunned for a moment that this is even an option! I thought about it for a minute and told her that I wasn't sure I wanted to go that route. Something about shooting my baby with Botox just makes me cringe. But, I did promise myself that I would do lots of research and see what kind of success this treatment has had. I'm not ruling it completely out, but I'm leery. But, the way it was explained to me today is that the Botox will relax the muscle for a certain period of time (days, weeks, months? I'm not sure.) which will, in turn, give us a chance to really push the exercises and get his neck turning properly. The thought is that when the Botox wears off, he'll be "cured" since he'll have gained the full range of motion. Again, I'm leery.

The second option was a neck brace which will create a "lump" on the side of his neck which will force him to keep his head center. Neck stretching without anyone physically manipulating his head. Some babies don't mind the brace at all, others scream the entire time it is on. Who knows where Chase would fall on that one! My first question was how long he would have to wear it daily because I was not going to have him in a helmet AND a neck brace all day long! But, she informed me that neck brace would only be worn for 20 minutes a few times a day. Okay....I can live with that. So, the measurements were taken and the neck brace is being custom made for him in the next couple of weeks. Of this two options, the neck brace just seemed like the most obvious first step. I think I'd rather try it out for a bit before moving on to anything as invasive as Botox.

Poor Chase! This poor kid just can't catch a break!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hmmm... Baby Botox does sound a little too Hollywood. But, if it works it is certainly worth looking into. I can't wait until I log onto your blog and read Chase is cured! No more braces or PT or anything!! I am sending positive thoughts that that day comes very SOON. :)

Cheryl said...

Interesting how the botox relaxes muscles. For some reason I was thinking it froze it in place for all eternity! LOL The good thing is this, too, shall pass, and this tough time will be a distant memory!