Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pride

Today was a good day!  It all started when I went to the mailbox this afternoon and found a letter from the school addressed to "the parents of Cole".  I wasn't expecting any paperwork for his IEP and normally most communication is handled through email, text messages, or phone calls.  So, I thought a letter was a little bit strange. And, can letters from school ever be a good thing?

After I opened it, I beamed.  The letter was from the principal of the Elementary School informing us that Cole was earning a Track Maker award for scoring so high on his MAP test last spring.  He was in the 95th percentile in Language Arts!  That means, out of all the kids throughout the state, he was in the top 5%!!!!  WOO HOO!!!!!!!!! 

We had a little bit of fun that night after dinner when we told him that we received a letter from his principal and maybe he should go read it.  He was nervous as could be and kept telling us that he had been good at school.  And, once he read it, he was jumping up and down!  He was so proud of himself, and we were just as proud of him!  (And, isn't it funny that the child who scores that high in Language Arts is the same child who hates and refuses to read or write???)  Ahhhh....irony.

Later that day, we went to Chase's guitar lesson.  His teacher (Ms. Beth) introduced the class of beginners to the guitar by teaching them some simple "number" chords, meaning the frets had a number and the kids strummed the numbers.  But, once October rolled around, she would dive into actually teaching them to read music and learn notes on the guitar.  I have been a little worried that he might get frustrated with that and find guitar "too hard".  

Apparently, I was worried about nothing.  Ms. Beth pulled me aside and said that Chase did a really great job site reading and that he had a natural ability for it!  He said that reading the notes actually came easier to him than learning to play with the simple number chords!   He has some talent to read/play music that didn't come from either of his parents, that's for sure!  I was so proud of my boy!!!  Look out, American Idol!

What a great day!  :)

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Yay! Way to go, Boys!!!