Monday, April 13, 2009

The Never-Ending Saga...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are now working with a DAN! doctor and exploring the biomedical approach to treating autism. As a follow-up to our initial consultation and as a first step, she ordered a round of bloodwork and a urinalysis to assess Cole's current state of health. While we expected the blood draw to be traumatic for him, what we didn't expect was the complete run-around we have been given. (And, let me just preface this by saying that it is NO WAY the fault of the doctor.)

In March, we went to Quest for the blood draw. Mommy, full-well knowing there was no way Cole would pee in a cup at the lab, made a special trip to the lab beforehand to obtain the cup so that we could get the specimin at home and take it to the lab with us. So, that morning, Cole and Mommy went to the lab with our orders and urine specimin in hand.

Mommy gave the nurse everything and then we were called back into the room where his blood would be drawn. It was just as horrible as I expected it to be. I had to pin the poor kid down while the nurse fished around for a vein. And, then 3 vials were drawn, all the while he was trying to hit, kick, and throw anything he could find. I'm sure the screaming and hollering could be heard for miles. And, when it was over, Mr. Grumpy threw a handful of bandaids at the nurse and left in tears. It was awful.

A few days later, I got a call from the doctor asking when we were going to go to the lab. I had a sinking feeling. My suspicions were confirmed when the doctor contacted me later that day to tell me that the lab lost the bloodwork. LOST IT!!! Apparently, we got the new girl that day. How perfect.

The only bright spot was that the IGg allergy testing had been sucessfully sent to Altess. However, the rest of the testing had not been done. Nor could Quest find any of the blood to re-test. Their solution? They offered to come to our home and re-draw. Uh, thanks. But, not the point.

Cole was scheduled for surgery just 2 days later. And, I spent those next 2 days on the phone with anyone who would listen. I begged Children's Mercy Hospital to order the same labs and draw them while he was under anesthesia. And, after 2 nerve-wracking days on the phone negotiating between the DAN! doctor, the hospital lab, and the surgeon's office, the orders were written finally!

The day of surgery, I took a copy of the orders with me. I gave them to anyone who would take them. I nagged every single nurse and doctor at every turn before surgery. They all assured me that the lab had been contacted. It would be taken care of.

After surgery, the doctor assured me that Cole was fine. The next question from my mouth, "Were the labs drawn?" YES! Hallejulia! Another trip to Quest was not an experience I was up for! My bruises haven't healed yet from the last trip!

Fast forward to today....

I get a call from the DAN! doctor this morning. Apparently the labs were drawn. However, the standard metabolic profile had been run and not the comprehensive metabolic profile that the doctor needed. UGH! So, I spent another day on the phone between the doctor, the surgeon's office and the lab.

I think. I think the correct lab test was ran this afternoon. Please keep your fingers crossed! I feel like we are on the cusp of getting some answers soon. We're learning bits and pieces but we can't get the whole puzzle to fit together because of these missing pieces.

Oh, and the urine specimine I left of Quest? Yeah, you guessed it. Lost too. I'll be dropping by the lab on my way home to pick up another cup. We'll try it one more time.

No comments: